Northern Village of Île-à-la Crosse
The Northern Village of Île-à-la Crosse is located in north-central Saskatchewan at the base of a peninsula extending into Lac Île-à-la Crosse. The Village is the second oldest community in northern Saskatchewan, established in 1776. In 1846, Roman Catholic Missionaries arrived and constructed the Chateau St. Jean Mission and a neighbouring school. The Sisters of Charity of the Roman Catholic Church was initiated soon after and still plays a prominent role within the community. This strong Métis community is the birthplace of Louis Riel Sr. and was home to Sister Margaret Riel, sister of Louis Riel. The Village has a population of 1425 (2021 Census) and prominent Aboriginal architect Douglas Cardinal designed Rossignol Elementary School.
The Village adopted a new Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaw, coming into force on February 14, 2020. Contact the Village for updated bylaws and maps.